Life from a saint's perspective

Saturday, October 07, 2006

She...

Argh!!! With a groan, I fumbled for my key in the dark…. It was disgusting…. I never got home early and work was all that I had time for…. The whole family was invariably snoring by the time I got home….If this continued, my son would never recognize me… *sigh* for the umpteeth time that day, I longed for the days at bschool when your biggest headache of the day was looking for company to go to kersam…

Every now and then I’d leave home with a steely resolve to quit and pursue my dreams of doing a PhD and settling down comfortably as a professor in some third grade bschool…. At least I’d be free to play with my daughters in the evenings!! But in the dirty world of corporate HR policy, money is all they talk about when someone talks about quitting… “Money minded bastards!!! You are all incarnations of Lucifer, I hope you know that!!!” I’d yell and pocket the fatter paycheck before promising to meet them first thing Monday morning…. Argh! I hated yielding to these material temptations…. All those ethics classes came rushing back to me as I searched for some bit of learning I got….Hmph! Nothing out there…. Should have known better while snoring away to ignorance and bliss in the shady corners of the class….

I pushed open the door…Was even too lazy to switch on the lights… fell back on my lazyboy, exhausted!!!

You’ve read about the trains during partition??? Hindus and Muslims were packed in goods trains and sent off to India / Pakistan…. When the train reached the destination and the bogies were opened, hundreds of bodies fell out……all dead….. of suffocation…. Mumbai local trains are like that….the only difference is that the doors are open…. Cant decide whether it’s a good thing or bad… for one, the people inside get some air…. Or so one would be inclined to think… But on the other hand, open doors are invitations for anyone brave enough to get in…that only adds to the crowd.. and the pains… You might wonder, for a guy who gets paid so much, this chap would be traveling in first class, so why is he cribbing???? Yes, I travel first class… no, I don’t get to stand comfortably, let alone sit…. In Mumbai, first class has a whole new meaning… You pay 10 times the normal fare… why? So that instead of the stench of rotten fish, you get the stench of Brut… but for the entire journey, first class or second, your nose is pretty much sticking under someone’s armpit!!!!

AARgh…. For the 391st time that day, I was disgusted…. Must quit the job….

Suddenly, I felt her hand on my thigh… it was so reassuring… I couldn’t believe my luck!!! I was so fortunate to have her!!! She stayed up this late for me??? Her eyes were moist… I could see the affection, the gratitude… she had stood by me all these years… She came closer… and closer…. I could feel her breath on my face… and before I realized, she was licking my ears… for the first time that day, I smiled…. Poor thing, what if she was hungry? After all, it was quite late… I went to the kitchen to look for food… she was inseparable…. As she followed me, I tossed over two biscuits… in her trademark style she jumped up and gulped them down… my doggy, my friend….

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home