Life from a saint's perspective

Monday, October 09, 2006

My take on ethics...

This post doesnt exactly go well here... But well, u can blame my friend and neighbour addy who requested for this particular class assignment to be put up here on my blog... so now u know who ought to get the bumps....

but again, that doesnt mean that i dont agree with this.... they totally reflect the shapeless pulp that my ideas are right now.... pretty much in the nascent stage....

*************************

The key question of ethics ultimately hinges on morality. What do we, as future managers perceive to be the right thing to do? All our judgements and decisions end up being reflections of this perception. But in addition to the individual, sometimes it is the society’s perceptions that carry more weight. I may think hard work is not a value, but if that is in contradiction with the values advocated by my community, I as a member of this community, will have to fall in line. Maybe it is pragmatism...

Personally, the values I hold most important are Equanimity, Loyalty, and Compassion. The major religions of the world advocate that God has a plan for everyone, and urge us to surrender our free will unto him. But I do not believe that God exists….Well, I am skeptical about it…But I believe that I do not control my results… I control only the processes… It is these cumulative processes of a lot of people that lead to the results… When we accept that we do not control our results, we stop cutting corners to achieve them. We do not resort to arbitary class participation to impress the professor just to get a better grade. We are able to maintain an emotional equilibrium through the ups and downs of life. Such a view will help me to focus on the work processes in my professional life, and detach myself from material things like salary. This will lead to the mutual growth of me, as an individual, and consequently that of the company.

Loyalty ensures that I am always committed to the cause of all the stakeholders involved, before taking a decision. This is also mentioned in Mahatma Gandhi’s talisman. Before taking any decision, pause and think whether it will cause even an iota of positive difference in the life of others. This is where the society and its perceptions come in. I personally may frown upon giving bribes. I may not give bribes to get my personal work done. But if I am working in an organization, there is a far higher number of stakeholders: employees, their families, shareholders. My loyalty to them and their well being far supersedes my personal opinions.

Finally, compassion ensures that I do not forget my social responsibility. However busy we may become, we have to bear in mind that there are far more unfortunate people in society who need care. This belief has been reinforced by my visit to the Cheshire Home. Observing the mentally challenged inmates and the sisters who take care of them raised several questions in my mind. Society perceives us as the most fortunate cream, to gain an admission into one of the premier management institutions of the country. But those sisters and their service to humanity far exceeds anything I may ever be able to achieve in a boardroom of a company.

Finally, it all boils down to this. After we die, we will not take our salary, or family or designations with us. We exist only to make a difference to society, scientifically socially or spiritually. It is only such people who are remembered, and are valued by humanity. The sooner we realize this, the better.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home